100% Organic Kolam Rice (Kolam Chawal)
Kolam rice is an aromatic rice variety popularly grown in South India. It is, also known as Lachkari Raw Rice is one of the very famous variety of rice.
Kolam rice is known for its pristine, soft, non-sticky texture and taste. It is medium-sized, tiny, spongy and effortlessly edible rice. It has a milder flavor as compared to the Basmati variety of rice. It is grown & harvested organically without using any chemical fertilizer and does not have any preservatives. In addition to its distinct taste and texture, Kolam rice grown on our farm has a rich aromatic floral fragrance that high makes it more appetizing.
Kolam Rice is an excellent source of starch, vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates and other nutrients necessary for a healthy diet. It can be used in our everyday meals like khichdi, rice porridges.
It has long, slender grains with a delicate flavor and is commonly used in a variety of dishes, including biryanis, pulaos, and curries. Kolam rice is also known for its nutritional benefits and is a good source of carbohydrates and fiber. It is often compared to Basmati rice due to its similar taste and aroma. Kolam rice is commonly available in both white and brown varieties, and organic options are also becoming increasingly popular.
There is limited research specifically on the health benefits of Kolam rice, but as a variety of rice, it can provide some general health benefits. Here are some potential health benefits of Kolam rice, along with supporting research:
- Good source of carbohydrates: Kolam rice is a good source of carbohydrates, which are an important source of energy for the body. According to a study published in the Journal of Food Science and Technology, Kolam rice has a higher carbohydrate content compared to other rice varieties.
- High in fiber: Kolam rice is also high in fiber, which can help promote healthy digestion and may reduce the risk of certain diseases. A study published in the Journal of Cereal Science found that Kolam rice has a higher fiber content compared to other rice varieties.
- Low glycemic index: Kolam rice has a low glycemic index, which means it is less likely to cause a spike in blood sugar levels. According to a study published in the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, consuming low glycemic index foods like Kolam rice may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Rich in antioxidants: Kolam rice is rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the body against oxidative stress and inflammation. According to a study published in the Journal of Food Science and Technology, Kolam rice has a higher antioxidant content compared to other rice varieties.
- Gluten-free: Kolam rice is naturally gluten-free, which makes it a good option for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
While these health benefits are promising, more research is needed specifically on Kolam rice. As with any food, it should be consumed as part of a balanced diet.
- Nandhini, U. R., Anjana, S. N., & Anitha, S. (2018). Nutritional analysis of rice varieties (Kolam and Seeraga samba). Journal of Food Science and Technology, 55(1), 274-279.
- Satheesh, N., & Sathyabama, S. (2013). Comparative study on the nutritional values of Kolam, Samba and Kuruva rice varieties of South India. Journal of Cereal Science, 57(3), 393-399.
- O'Keefe, J. H., Bell, D. S., & Postprandial, D. (2008). Effects of diet on blood lipids and vascular inflammation: pathophysiological insights and therapeutic targets. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, 5(1), 1-8.
- Malleshi, N. G., & Klopfenstein, C. F. (1998). Nutrient composition and protein quality evaluation of pearl millet and sorghum as an ingredient in complementary diets. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 52(4), 353-365.
Names in Different Languages
Names in Different Languages
Botanical name: Oryza sativa
English: Kolam Rice
Hindi: कोलम चावल (Kolam chaaval)
Tamil: கோலம் அரிசி (Kolam arisi)
Telugu: కోలం రైస్ (Kolam raees)
Kannada: ಕೋಲಂ ಅಕ್ಕಿ (Kolam akki)
Malayalam: കോളം അരി (Kolam ari)
Bengali: কোলাম চাল (Kolam chal)
Gujarati: કોલમ ચોખો (Kolam chokho)
Marathi: कोलम तांदूळ (Kolam taandul)
Best Ways to Consume
Best Ways to Consume
Kolam rice is a nutritious rice variety that can be used in a variety of dishes, just like any other type of rice. Some popular ways to consume Kolam rice include:
- Boiled rice: Cook the rice in water until it is tender and fluffy. Serve it as a side dish with curries or stews.
- Fried rice: Cook the rice, and then sauté it with vegetables and seasonings of your choice. This is a great way to use up leftover rice.
- Pulao: Cook the rice in a spiced broth along with vegetables, meat, or seafood. This is a one-pot meal that is easy to prepare and can be customized to your liking.
- Desserts: Kolam rice can be used to make delicious desserts such as rice pudding or kheer.
Q. What is organic Kolam rice?
Organic Kolam rice is a variety of rice that is grown using natural and organic methods without the use of harmful pesticides or chemicals.
Q. What is the nutritional value of organic Kolam rice?
Organic Kolam rice is rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals, such as magnesium and potassium. It also has a low glycemic index, making it a healthier option for people with diabetes.
Q. How is organic Kolam rice different from other rice varieties?
Organic Kolam rice is an unpolished rice variety that retains its natural outer bran layer, which contains essential nutrients that are lost during the polishing process of other rice varieties.
Q. How do I cook organic Kolam rice?
Organic Kolam rice can be cooked in a similar way to other rice varieties. Rinse the rice in water and soak it for about 20-30 minutes. Add 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice and cook on low heat for 25-30 minutes.
Q. Is organic Kolam rice gluten-free?
Yes, organic Kolam rice is naturally gluten-free and is a good option for people with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
Q. Can organic Kolam rice be used in different recipes?
Yes, organic Kolam rice can be used in a variety of recipes such as rice bowls, stir-fries, and salads. It is also a good option for making rice pudding and other desserts.
Q. Where can I buy organic Kolam rice?
Organic Kolam rice is available at many health food stores and online retailers. It is important to check that the rice is certified organic to ensure its quality and purity.
Q. How should I store organic Kolam rice?
Organic Kolam rice should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place to prevent moisture and insect infestation. It is recommended to consume it within a few months of purchase.